Leanne

Leanne

Death of a Blues Angel
Sarah Black
Unsettled Conditions (Pindone Files #4-5)
Ann Somerville
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz So this is where I curse my limitations in writing, throw a bunch of adjectives up in the air and hope some of them stick.:)
These boys.....Ari and Dante...are so beautiful, so innocent yet wise in their quest for meaning and self-discovery. Their friendship and love is luminescent. These boys are sweet and mouthy and questioning and goofy and I delighted in every single word of their story.

Dante and Ari are only barely sixteen but unlike most coming of age stories, there is very little cliché high school drama in this book. We see the boys around the kitchen table, on the front porch, doing the small things and daily rituals that hold all families together. Because this story is really about family. I loved the intimate glimpses of both sets of parents. How, as we find out more about the boys (and they discover things about themselves) so the hidden layers and secrets around Aristotle's family are revealed. Ari's awkward relationship with his father and the gradual healing (thanks to a dog called Legs and a 1957 cherry red pickup truck) was so real, so heartbreaking.

Such simple, effortless writing, but oh so beautiful.

I sat up on my bed and ran my fingers over the scars on my legs. Scars. A sign that you had been hurt. A sign that you had healed.
Had I been hurt?
Had I healed?
Maybe we just lived between hurting and healing. Like my father. I think that’s where he lived. In that in-between space. In that ecotone.

Highly, highly recommended.

I should also note that I listened to the audio book first and was totally blown away by the incredible narration by Lin-Manuel Miranda. One of the best performances of a book I've heard to date. Six stars.